Pilot Knob STEM Magnet School offers a comprehensive science, technology, engineering and math curriculum focused on developing confident and technologically-literate problem-solvers, innovators, inventors and logical thinkers in grades K-4.
WHAT'S SPECIAL ABOUT PILOT KNOB?
In addition to its STEM-focused curriculum, Pilot Knob emphasizes kindness and teamwork within their school community. Students also have access to a wide range of support services and enrichment opportunities.
- Educational technology in every classroom to promote individualized learning, including interactive whiteboards in all classrooms, one-to-one iPads for our 3rd and 4th grade students, and iPad and Macbook carts for use throughout the school.
- A robotics and pre-robotics engineering program provides students with opportunities to design and program robots.
- Elementary Engineering curriculum which develops engineering thinking and problem solving.
- Caring, highly-qualified teachers.
- Sparks elective classes that offer students an opportunity to explore an interest related to a STEM theme once each week.
- A community garden which fosters students' interests in planting, harvesting and cooking while also teaching math, science and reading skills.
- Group projects and collaborative learning experiences
- Attention to individual student learning needs
- Academically rigorous classes that meet state standards
- A focus on literacy and encouragement to, "read, read, read!"
- Students are taught to develop a Growth Mindset, which instills in each child the motivation and belief that they can achieve goals and reach success in anything they choose.
- A true school community, where everyone knows and cares for each other.
WHAT IS A MAGNET SCHOOL?
Magnet schools are free public schools that are organized around specialized themes. These themes are chosen and designed to appeal to students’ interests and aptitudes, and often attract students from a larger attendance area.
Learn more about Pilot Knob's STEM magnet theme.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Magnet Schools of America, Magnet School of Excellence - 2013, 2015, 2016
- Apple Distinguished Program - 2012
- USDA Healthier US School Challenge Silver Award - 2011
Learn about Pilot Knob's School Initiatives and Community Partners.
Learn more about Enrolling in School District 197.
Download a fact sheet (English/Español) for more information about Pilot Knob.